How do I get a replacement drivers license

Obtaining a Replacement License


Why Get a Replacement License?

If your driver’s license or learner’s permit is lost, stolen, damaged, or mutilated, you will need to obtain a replacement.Additionally,you may choose to replace your driver’s license to change your address, change organ donor status, update the photograph on your license or learner’s permit, or replace your Social Security Number with a DMV-assigned customer number.

If the expiration date on your license is less than six months away, you may choose to renew your driver’s license instead of replacing it.

Removal of Vision Restriction

If you must wear glasses or contact lenses when you drive, your driver’s license will show a vision restriction. To have the vision restriction removed after having LASIK surgery to correct your vision, you must either:

  • Visit a DMV customer service center and obtain a replacement license. You will be required to pass the vision screening without wearing glasses or contact lenses, OR
  • Submit the following by mail:
    1. A completed Driver’s License and Identification Card Application (DL1P)
    2. A Vision Screening Report (MED 4) that has been signed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist within the last 3 months. The MED 4 must indicate that you meet the minimum visual requirements without wearing glasses or contact lenses.
    3. A $20 payment for the replacement licenseMail these items to:Department of Motor Vehicles
      Driver Support
      P. O. Box 27412
      Richmond, VA 23269-0001


Driver Support will process your request and send you a replacement license by mail with the vision restriction removed.

How to Obtain a Replacement License

You can replace your driver’s license either online or at a customer service center. The cost to obtain a replacement license is $20.


You may obtain a replacement driver’s license online, using a DMV-issued PIN number, unless:

  • You currently hold a valid license or learner’s permit.
  • Your current ID card was issued prior to January 1, 2004.
  • Your name needs to be changed or corrected on your identification card.
  • Your identification card has expired.
  • You owe money to DMV for a prior transaction.
  • You are under the age of 18.
  • You have a profile picture on your identification card.
  • You have surrendered your identification card to another state.
  • You need a new photo on your identification card.
  • Your customer number on file needs verification.
  • You have already requested an identification card replacement online today.
  • You are required to provide proof of legal presence.


If you obtain a replacement online, DMV will use the photograph on your existing license. If you would like a new photo on your license, please visit one of our customer service centers.

At a Customer Service Center

To obtain a replacement driver’s license or learner’s permit at one of our customer service centers:

  • Complete the application for a driver’s license (DL1P). You may complete the form before or after coming to a DMV office. For your convenience, you may also apply toregister to vote, change your voter registration address, or notify DMV of a change of address or name when you complete the application form.
  • Present two identification documents; however, only one primary identification document is required if you are under age 19. For more information on identification requirements, refer to “Acceptable Documents for Obtaining a Driver’s License or Photo ID Card” (DMV 141). en EspaƱol.
  • Present one proof of legal presence unless you have previously proven legal presence and it has not expired. The legal presencerequirements are:
    1. You must present proof of legal presence in person.
    2. If your learner’s permit was issued prior to 01/01/04, you are “grandfathered” and do not need to prove legal presence when obtaining your original driver’s license.
    3. If you are replacing a valid, unexpired license issued prior to 01/01/04, you are “grandfathered” and do not need to prove legal presence.
    4. If you are replacing your license that has been suspended or cancelled and your record does not already indicate that legal presence has been proven (and the limited duration time has not expired), you must prove legal presence.
    5. If you are replacing your license that is revoked or expired for as little as one day, you must prove legal presence.
    6. If you are authorized to be in the U.S. temporarily and have been issued a limited duration driver’s license, the license cannot be replaced. A subsequent license will be processed as an original, and proof of legal presence is required. You will not be eligible to receive a limited duration ID card, or permit if your authorized stay in the U.S. is less than 30 days from the date of your application.
    7. If you present a valid legal presence document without its required expiration date, you will be issued a limited duration license that is valid for one year. This does not apply to a U.S. birth document since it does not contain an expiration date.

A new photo will be required.

If you currently hold both a driver’s license and a photo ID, you will be required to surrender your photo ID card before you can receive a replacement license.


Comments are closed.